Monday, June 15, 2009

For the love of Trees... maybe.

At work once I'm done ringing a customer up, I always ask them, as it is my job, if they would like a copy of their receipt. When someone pays with a credit card or a check, and the receipt has their name on it, its an automatic thing; I print a copy for them. But then there are those times when a customer purchases a pair of $2.00 socks from me so that their gross little kids can run rampant on my equipment and not get their baby foot fungus all over everything. Sometimes, these people will actually say YES to a receipt.

When this happens, in my head, I start screaming "TREE KILLER! MURDERER!!! TREEEE KIIIILLLLEEEEERRR" because really, who fucking needs a receipt for a pair of socks that you just handed me 2 bucks for? All you're doing is using up a piece of paper that didn't need to be used. Now some burly ass lumberjack has to stomp out to the forest (which forest, I'm not sure, since we have so few left) and chop down another of our oxygen and vegetation sources, and put a few hundred animals out of their homes and onto the streets to become beggars, thieves, druggies, and prostitutes (because that's what happens to the homeless, even animals) so that I can put a new roll of receipt paper in my register.

OK. So before you start picturing me as some tree hugger who wears shirts day in and day out that say "If its yellow, let it mellow..." and washes her hair with patchouli dandelion shampoo that she makes herself, I need to confess. Part of my angst, maybe all of it, comes from the fact that I'm too LAZY to print up unimportant receipts and I feel that by being offended for our earth I can legitimize the annoyance of having to print a receipt.

Don't judge me Mother Earth, you made a lazy SOB, at least I'm spinning it to your advantage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment